Just like with fashion, home décor trends are cyclical – everything that is old can become new again. Here are six décor trends that have made a huge comeback in 2016 – and no, mirrored walls and popcorn ceilings are in style…yet.
1. Brass – Making a comeback from its 1980’s glory days; brass is popular once again. This time around, it is less sleek and shiny and more streamlined and antique looking. It is overtaking chrome and appearing in rooms throughout the home. Brass frames, fixtures, and candle holders are great accents that can accompany rich and deep tones.
2. Mid-Century Designs – This specific style with clean lines, starburst designs, and wooden accents is popular once again. The vintage look is in – and the best part is that you can still buy original décor pieces at an affordable price. Second–hand stores, flea markets, and antique shops are great places to look for vintage décor and furniture.
3. Pastels – When most people think about pastels and home décor, they are reminded of the 1980s and pastel overload. Pastels have been revamped and modernized – the hues are not just for children’s bedrooms anymore. Pastels mixed with bold accents and brighter shades can create a perfect balance in any room.
4. Wallpaper – Until recently, the idea of wallpaper was very outdated. In fact, one of the first things you would do when you bought an older home was rip off the wallpaper. Wallpaper is now available in many different patterns, materials, textures, and colours. It can instantly turn a boring wall into a statement wall, the options truly are endless.
5. Indoor Plants – No longer a thing of the past, indoor plants are gaining popularity in just about every space. From larger trees and vines in the living room, to succulents in the bathroom, to herbs and hanging plants in the kitchen. Plants can add extra interest and colour and they actually help to produce oxygen in otherwise stuffy spaces. Make plants even more decorative by planting them in ornate pots.
6. Colourful Cabinets – No more white kitchens – colourful cabinets are making their way back into our kitchens. In the 1950s and 1960s, you could find cabinets of every colour imaginable. For a long time after, wooden and white cabinets reigned supreme. Now, slowly but surely, colour is creeping back into the kitchen in the form of muted and matte colors such as navy, yellow and deep red. Say goodbye to scrubbing unsightly stains off white surfaces!
Which home décor trends would you like to try? If you have any questions about decorating or buying and selling your home, give me a call at 416-921-1112 and I would be happy to help you out.