Winter is finally over, and the warm weather is on its way! If you have home-maintenance projects planned, consider tackling these ones during the spring months:
1. Outdoor Maintenance. After the snow melts, our outdoor spaces can often use a little TLC. Take the time to clear debris and remove any dead branches from the yard. Check if fences, walkways, and outdoor fixtures need maintenance or repairs. Clean the gutters, pressure wash the deck, and get started on gardening projects. The earlier these get taken care of, the more time you will have to enjoy your beautiful outdoor space.
2. Windows. Due to the cold, we often neglect washing and inspecting windows during the winter months. As soon as it is warm enough, check windows and give them a thorough clean. It is a good idea to check caulking and weather-stripping every few months – leakage around windows can create a draught. If it looks like you need window replacements, consider doing before the summer. The right window selection could save you up to $500 per year in heating and cooling costs.
3. Exterior Paint. If painting is on your to-do list – now is a great time to do it. Warmer weather will allow paint to dry properly and you will not have to worry about working in the sweltering heat. If the paint is in good condition – but is looking a little drab – pressure washing your home’s exterior could make it look as good as new!
4. Roofing. Emergencies happen and sometimes roof-work cannot wait, but if you are able to plan ahead, spring is a good time to schedule roof repairs and maintenance. It is warm and dry enough to work safely without having to battle the heat of the summer.
5. Decks, Patios, and Outdoor Rooms. Once the weather warms up and the ground thaws, our outdoor projects are ready to be tackled. Decks require hand-digging and the ground is usually softer in the spring. No matter what your vision is for your outdoor space, starting in spring will give you the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of your labour in the warmer months.
6. Spring Cleaning. Spring is a great time to clean all the areas of the house that have been neglected during the cold winter months. Consider cleaning windows, laundering drapes, washing carpets, dusting ceiling fans, etc. You can check out my spring cleaning post for more ideas.
If you have spring projects planned and are hoping to sell your home, give me a call at 416.921.1112 and I would be happy to share advice and answer any questions you may have.