Spring is just around the corner! Taking on a home improvement project can be a fun and rewarding activity for the weekend. If you are not the handiest of people, have no fear – there are projects even the most inexperienced of us can perfect. Here are 6 easy and inexpensive ways to beautify your home this weekend:
1. Grab a Paint Brush. Take a look around your house – are there baseboards, cabinets or walls that have seen better days? A lot of the time, a thorough clean and a fresh coat of paint is all it takes to make things look like new. If you decide to paint a room this weekend, consider making one of your walls an accent wall – here are some tips for picking the right wall and colours.
2. Look for a Unique Piece to Stand Out in Your Space. Take a trip to your local thrift store or flea market, or look through postings online for a one-of-a-kind piece to step up your decor. You would be surprised where designers find some of their amazing furnishings! Scouring thrift stores and markets is a great way to find older, high quality items that often just need a little bit of TLC.
3. Put Effort Into the Details. Sometimes, the tiniest details can make a huge difference in how we perceive our surroundings. For example, an ordinary guestroom can feel luxurious with a high-quality rug, high-thread count sheets and face towels tied with ribbon placed on the side table. A few key details can transform any room. Not sure what you can do to improve your space? Here are a few ideas:
Decorative Curtain Rings. (for your shower, or window curtains). Instead of regular curtain rings, use decorative napkin holders and use linen or ribbons as an accent OR tie them on directly with ribbons.
Frame It. Thick, elegant frames can make just about anything look luxurious. Try framing your wall-mounted television, the bathroom mirror or even light switch plates! A little creativity can go a long way.
Upgrade Your Bedding. Plush pillows and crisp white linens can make your bed feel like it belongs in a 5 star hotel. If you want to step things up an extra notch, create a DIY canopy bed.
4. Create a Gallery Wall. A gallery wall is a great way to add interest to any room. If you are like many people, you have an accumulation of photographs, prints, paintings, etc. collecting dust somewhere. Look through your collection and pick out between 7-12 of your favourite pieces/photos. Record the sizes of the pieces and find frames to match them. You can choose to get crazy with different colours or keep things neutral with all black or white frames. Create a layout with your pieces on the floor before nailing anything to the wall, and take a look at this ‘how to’ article. Before you spend big bucks on framing – visit your local second–hand stores and look for frames that match your style (remember: painting over frames is easy!). Craft stores like Michaels also tend to have great deals.
5. Get Organized. Tackle a mess this weekend. Is there a part of your home that could use some TLC? Whether it is your garage, clothes closet, craft room or kitchen, pick a section of your home and make it your weekend project. Focusing on a small area is less daunting than deciding you want to organize the entire house, and you will have the time and energy to focus on the details. Once it is clean and organized, you may find yourself inspired to do more in the space!
Are you taking on any home improvement projects this weekend? Let me know!