There is no denying it – moving is stressful. With so much to do and think about, it is not surprising when we get overwhelmed!
Here are 8 tips to help you avoid moving day chaos and keep calm during the moving process:
1. Make a List. Before undertaking any daunting task, especially something as major as moving house, it is important to be as organized as possible from the get-go. Make a list of everything that needs to be accomplished and prioritize your tasks. This is a good time to think about your resources, and which of your really, really good friends can be called in to give you a hand.
2. Pack With Care. Begin packing as soon as you know your moving date. Avoid a mad rush: start with the seasonal items you know you will not be needing. Take the time to ensure you are packing carefully and labeling properly. The better you label a boxes’ destination (kitchen, bedroom, basement, etc.) and its contents, the easier the unpacking process will be.
3. Get Rid of Anything You Do Not Need. If you do not use it in your current house, odds are you will not be using it in your new place. Take this opportunity to purge unwanted items. Go from room to room and decide what you want to keep, donate, or throw away. Set a personal goal for how many items you would like to dispose of. Make it easy on yourself and get rid of anything that creates clutter. Remember, you are going to have to sort it, pack it, label it, transport it, unpack it and then find a new place for it – do you really need it?
4. Set a Budget. Consider the budget you are working with. Will you be renting a moving truck? Hiring a moving company? Enlisting friends to help out? Remember to include the cost of packing materials, labour and any costs associated with the moving process. Establishing a realistic budget beforehand will help you better prepare and reduce stress.
5. Be Flexible. Even with the most perfectly thought-out plan – unforeseen things can happen. Odds are that you are not the only person involved with your move. With high stress-levels and different jobs that need to be accomplished – it is important to have a back up plan. Keep positive and go with the flow – you will get the job done one way or another!
6. Take Care of Yourself. Your health (and sanity) is important. Ask for support and help from family and friends if you need it. Ensure you get enough sleep and are eating properly – you work much better when you feel good.
7. Pack a Survival Kit. Prepare for a hectic moving day by packing up essentials in a ‘survival kit’. Pack things you will need throughout the move: drinks, snacks, toiletries, phone chargers, medication, the kids’ favourite toys, etc. Have essentials readily available so that you can just fall into bed at the end of the day.
8. Have an Important Document Box. Small items can get lost in the shuffle – ensure you have a safe place for passports, identification, important home documents, etc., during the moving process. Keep them in one spot for easy access and peace of mind.
When beginning your move, thinking about everything that needs to get done can be overwhelming. Try to focus on the outcome (an exciting new home) and keep motivated – all your hard work will pay off in the end!