With warmer weather just around the corner, now is a great time to focus on making your outdoor space beautiful. Think past the grass, gardens and lawn furniture and consider turning your yard into a functional extension of your home. Here are a few ways to create a space that your family and guests will enjoy spending time in:
Outdoor Living Space
Having an outdoor space with comfortable seating and a table or two is great for entertaining or spending time with family outside. Here are a few tips for the perfect “outdoor room”:
- A great way to create a cozy space outside is by enclosing a gazebo with outdoor curtains. This will ensure plenty of shade and protection from the elements.
- Do not be afraid to use stylish accents traditionally found indoors: carpets, throw pillows and other design touches are perfect for outdoor spaces too. Just make sure that they are rated for outdoor use or otherwise protected.
- Include a large functional table for family dinners, working outside, or doing other projects/activities in the sunshine.
- Fire pits are a feature that will keep guests warm if the evening is chilly, and they offer ambiance and light. Having comfortable seating surrounding a fire pit is great for entertaining and relaxing. Remember to consider safety and read about fire rules and permits before setting up for a fire.
- Consider shelter and warmth. Will your space be completely open or will it have some protection from the elements? Will you have heaters in place for the cooler nights?
Having an outdoor space to prepare your meals is a great way to take advantage of the sunshine and spend time with family outside. An added bonus is that by cooking outdoors, it helps keep your home cool. Although assembling an outdoor kitchen can be a big investment – it does not have to be. A simple version can have a sink, countertop, BBQ and a few storage spaces, while an upgraded version can have a mini fridge, stove – or even a pizza oven!
Here are a few tips to remember when planning an outdoor kitchen:
- All materials must be able to withstand the climate and should be intended for exterior use.
- Durable materials like stainless steel, stone, slate, tile and stucco are perfect for the outdoors.
- Using affordable small-space appliances (like mini fridges) is a good way to save on energy costs and space.
- Make sure to have some shelter available for the chef – weather it is a covered space, or just a large umbrella on hand.
The possibilities for outdoor rooms are endless. Focus on creating a functional and beautiful space that you will want to spend time in. Have any questions on how to upgrade your space to increase your home’s value? Give me a call at 416-921-1112 or email me at email@example.com and I would be happy to help!